Photo by: Tracy Benjamin
The perfect Thanksgiving side should be healthy, colorful and packed with flavor. This cranberry orange quinoa salad does it all! It’s also in our favorite recipe category: easy. You might want to double or triple or quadruple this recipe for family holiday gatherings- everyone will be going back for thirds!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cup water
- 2 large leaves of kale
- 2 cup cranberries, fresh
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbs orange zest, grated
- 6 small oranges
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh, chopped
- Rinse quinoa.
- Bring 2 cup water to boil. When water is boiling, transfer rinsed quinoa and return to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the water is gone and quinoa is cooked, about 12-15 minutes.
- Wash, remove from stems and finely chop 2 large leaves of kale.
- Combine 2 cup cranberries, 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, and 1 tsp honey in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- When quinoa is done, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix with chopped kale. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in 2 tbs orange zest (grated) with the quinoa.
- Peel and coarsely chop 6 small oranges.
- When quinoa is cooled completely, gently stir in the oranges, cranberry mixture, 1/4 cup mixed nuts, 1/4 cup pomegranate arils, 1/4 cup celery, and 1/4 cup mint.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Family Spice.