Craving some sausage pizza but don’t want the calories pepperonis add to the mix? Here’s a great recipe from Jennie-O for homemade turkey sausage pizza!
- 1 (19.5-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Lean Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 medium green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (12-inch) pre-baked pizza crust
- ½ cup prepared pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese, divided
- 2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- fresh basil, chopped, if desired
- Heat oven to 450ºF. Remove and discard casing from sausage. In skillet, cook sausage and bell pepper as specified on the package. Always cook turkey to well-done, 165ºF as measured by a meat thermometer. Break sausage into chunks and stir occasionally.
- Place pizza crust on baking sheet. Spread sauce over crust and add 1 cup cheese. Top with sausage mixture and onion rings. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if desired.
MADE WITH Lean Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
Always cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.