Look no further for the perfect Christmas side. This lean green bean casserole is a Christmas favorite made healthy. This lean recipe cuts out the canned soup and fried onions and adds clean ingredients and homemade sautéed onions instead. This recipe had even be made ahead of time! Just assemble all the ingredients, cover with plastic wrap then aluminum foil, and freeze. On the big day, just pop it in the oven.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1.5 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk (almond unsweetened or 2%)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For onion topping:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced into circles
- ½ cup whole wheat or Panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Boil green beans until al dente – about 5-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, saute onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil until they’re nice and brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add mushrooms and saute until soft. Add in enough flour to coat the mushrooms. Next, pour in the milk, whisking as you pour. Add water, cottage cheese, Parmesan, salt and pepper and whisk until the cottage cheese melts. Add the green beans into the mushroom sauce and stir to combine.
- In a bowl, mix onions with breadcrumbs, Parmesan and water and stir to combine.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour in the green bean mixture. Top it with the onions and bake uncovered about 25 minutes.