This broccoli cheddar soup is a skinny twist on a classic recipe. With less cream and butter and more veggies and nutrients, this is a healthy go-to soup for the entire winter (or anytime really). Curl up on the couch (or the kitchen table if you’re a messy eater) with this soup and a good movie and be prepared to be cozy.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 main dish (entrée-sized) servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 cups organic 1 percent milk
- 2 pounds broccoli, stalks removed and florets chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1½ cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon organic Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups organic sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it’s softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook until softened, about 7 minutes more. Add the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Use an immersion hand blender to puree the mixture until it’s smooth and creamy (or transfer mixture to a food processor to purée).
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the broccoli and shredded carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are softened, about 5 – 7 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to a light simmer. Stir in the dijon, honey, and paprika. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully stir in the cauliflower purée and the shredded cheddar. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.