In bigger cities, the reality of riding on the sidewalk is a way of life. They often are the only road ways from point A to point B.
NPR listed some valid information in regards to what you need to know about cycling on the sidewalks:
1. Bicyclists feel safer, but pedestrians feel endangered
2. Everything is not as it seems
3. Protected bike lanes are proven to reduce sidewalk cycling
4. Bye bye parallel parking space
5. Protected bike lanes aren’t the only solution
6. Sidewalk bicycling might just be a growing pain