Whether your preference is Mountain biking or road riding, both are great forms of exercise. If you search the internet, you’ll find a copious amount of opinions on multiple bike forums debating which type of cycling is superior- which can be a little overwhelming at times. We decided to simplify it a little for you and find the top five reasons to mountain bike and road ride. We recommend you try both before you make up your mind!
5 Reasons to Mountain Bike
- Mountain biking requires the use of more muscle groups than road riding does. This allows for a more dynamic workout.
- Mountain bikes are less expensive than road bikes.
- You will be exercising in an oxygen rich environment as opposed to a highly polluted road. According to Active.com, some studies reveal an increase in cardiovascular disease among people who exercise in highly polluted environments.
- Mountain biking feels more like an adventure and less like an organized fitness regimen.
- Mountain biking usually allows for a shaded, quiet ride. Unless you live in a secluded area with rarely-used roads, you probably share the road with several cars. Mountain biking eliminates this possibly harmful, loud distraction.
- 5 Reasons to Ride on the Road
- Road riding is predictable and allows you to focus on your form.
- If you love spin class, road riding is the most similar to spinning.
- Obstacles on the road are easier to avoid than obstacles you encounter when mountain biking.
- Roads are stable while mountain biking is full of instability. Mountain biking has terrain that often causes a feeling of sliding around on loose dirt. However, roads are often well-paved.
- You don’t have roots, rocks, trees and other obstacles in your way. There is less of an opportunity for a crash.