If you didn’t already have a good reason to celebrate, this bread pudding breakfast casserole will give you one. This Christmas dish is made with crunchy ciabatta bread, sweet pears and festive cranberries. Move over, scrambled eggs! You can even make this dish the night before to avoid Christmas day stress.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 3/4 cup
- 8 oz ciabatta bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped peeled ripe pears
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 2 cans (14 oz) evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg and salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine bread, pears and cranberries. Whisk together milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, pour over bread mixture, tossing lightly. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour into greased 8-inch (8-cup) square baking dish, pressing with spatula to level.
- To serve immediately: Bake in center of 350 F oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- To serve tomorrow: Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. After it sits overnight, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Keeping dish covered with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes until set and lightly browned.