If you’ve ever tried bubble tea, you know how yummy – and inexpensive – this unique sweet drink can be. If you’re unfamiliar with bubble tea, it is a Taiwanese tea-based drink that’s basically a sweetened smoothie (or tea drink) mixed with chewy tapioca pearls. The “bubble” refers to the foam created by shaking the tea. But don’t travel to Taiwan to get this yummy drink- with a little time and the right ingredients, you can turn your kitchen into a bubble tea shop!
Yields: one 16 oz drink (double or triple the recipe to share with friends!)
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls (sometimes known as Boba). These can be found at an Asian grocery store or ordered online.
- 2 ounces of Taro powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 cup ice
- 5 ounces milk
- Bring 5 cups water (or enough water to fully cover the Boba) to a boil in a pot that will allow the pearls space to move around. If you pack the pearls into a pot that is too small, they will stick together and won’t cook thoroughly.
- Add the pearls and sugar to boiling water and set a timer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add ice, milk and 2 scoops Taro powder to blender.
- Fill your cup with the tapioca pearls.
- Pour mixture into cup on top of the pearls.