Hummus and avocado are foods that are growing in popularity. By combining them to make this wonderful chickpea concoction, you can’t go wrong. With the protein from hummus and many antioxidants from the avocados, eating healthy never tasted so delicious. I have always had a weakness when it comes to snacking, but when you have this tasty and healthy treat, it is impossible not to indulge.
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, well drained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, cored and peeled (13 oz before cored and peeled)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 – 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves, for topping
- Red pepper flakes, for topping
- Pulse chick peas, olive oil, tahini, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I did a scant 1/2 tsp salt and about 1/8 tsp pepper), add cumin and avocados and pulse mixture until smooth and creamy, about 1 – 2 minutes longer.
- Serve topped with more olive oil if desired and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.