Don’t fall into the pit of unhealthy snacking this new year. Make these delicious, healthy snacks instead and stay on track.
Superfood Trail Mix
Serving Size: ¼ cup
292 calories | 18g fat | 35g carbs | 4.5g fiber | 5g protein
- ½ Cup Pistachios Nuts
- ½ Cup Hazelnuts, Whole
- ½ Cup Walnuts, Halved
- ½ Cup Pecans, Whole
- ½ Cup Goji Berries
- ½ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ Cup Dried Blueberries
- ½ Cup Raisins
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Herbed beet chips
6 g carbs | 2g fiber | 1g protein | 7g total fat | 1g saturated fat | 194 mg sodium
- 3 medium beets
- Canola or olive oil
- Pinch of dried rosemary
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper brushed with oil.
- Peel and thinly slice beets, place on baking sheets in a single layer, and brush tops lightly with more oil.
- Sprinkle on crumbled dried rosemary, salt, and black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy and edges have browned.
Sweet potato muffins
Light, fluffy, and easy, these whole-grain muffins make a great snack for pre-run or post-run.
248 calories (per muffin)
37g carbs | 3g fiber | 4g protein | 9g fat
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (preferably pastry flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pureed or mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 375° F. Grease 12 muffin cups or add paper liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
- In a bowl, whisk butter, oil, sweet potato, egg, and buttermilk. Fold wet mixture into the dry; stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars
151 calories (per serving)
54 calories from fat |6g fat | 2g saturated fat | 78mg sodium | 22g carbs | 1g fiber | 11g sugars | 3g protein
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1 and 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, egg whites, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat with an electric mixer (or paddle attachment of your stand mixer) on medium speed until the mixture resembles caramel sauce and the sugars have dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, combine old-fashioned oats, flour, baking soda and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined. Add to liquid mixture. Transfer to a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool until firm. Cut into squares and store tightly covered for up to 5 days.