Food is my love language, so when I think of summer love, I think of burgers! This guacamole turkey burger is full of flavor and earns a spot as one of my favorite summertime dinners. Fire up the grill this weekend with this healthy burger alternative!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 turkey burgers
- 1.25 lb pound ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese (or other cheese of choice)
- ¼ cup pico de gallo
- 4 teaspoons fresh chopped cilantro
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces non-fat Greek yogurt
- Optional toppings: onion, large leaf lettuce, tomato
For the guacamole:
- 1 ripe peeled avocado
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- Mix the ground turkey together with the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Form into three patties
- Place turkey burgers on grill, and grill for 4-5 minutes per side until burgers reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from grill and let sit.
- While the burgers cook, prepare the guacamole. Add the red onion, lime juice, salt, garlic and jalapeno pepper to a food processor. Pulse five times or until finely chopped. Add avocado and process until smooth. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Place whole wheat buns on grill and toast for 1 minute. Remove from grill.
- Place turkey burger, cheese, pico de gallo, lettuce, onion, tomato, cilantro, guacamole and squeeze of fresh lime on bun.
- Spread yogurt on the bottom side of top bun.