Healthy, creamy and made with wine- what more could you want in a dish? Make this healthy mushroom risotto this week for healthy dinner for the entire family.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs or cup of white, portabello or shiitake mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 3/4 cups arborio rice or other risotto rice
- 1/3 cup sliced Parmesan cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves, optional
- Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Melt the coconut oil in medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onions and garlic and sauté about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to combine.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil and then reduce liquid by half (about 5 minutes).
- Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next ½ cup. This will take about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley or chives.
- Add simmering stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly to keep the rice from sticking to the pan.